Must...write...something...contrarian.
Ok, here's a kick at the can: Volver (my first Pedro Almodóvar film-watching experience) sucked. Why such great reviews? Worse, the only critic who seems to share my view that this film was a totally non-engaging and implausible soap opera is this sleaze, who readily admits to being weirdly distracted by Penelope Cruz' breasts. I was weirdly distracted by the fact that nobody in Cruz' supposed family looked remotely related. What am I missing?
Update: Talk to Her, on the other hand, is wonderful.
Update: Talk to Her, on the other hand, is wonderful.
3 Comments:
I haven't seen Volver, but have watched Bad Education and Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown. BE was warped and very good, WENB didn't leave much of an impression - too much neurosis for me.
I liked this movie. Part of the attraction for me, I will admit, is Penelope Cruz. But I also liked the fact that Almodovar played with the idea that the mother was a ghost. I thot he pulled that off really well. I also appreciated that he put Cruz in a bizarre situation, maintained it, and then resolved it. It was a good combination of the surreal and the down-to-earth.
I'm just so enraptured by his aesthetic he could have his characters read the phone book and I'd be happy.
See "All About Eve" and then "All About My Mother". That is pure bliss of a double feature.
Post a Comment
<< Home