Phallic symbols everywhere!
Oh man this is funny. Although I have to wonder if the city worker who provided the info about "retrofitting the posts with metal collars and chains" did so with a straight face?
It does seem to me though that people today tend to see phallic symbols everywhere. Tall buildings are especially common targets. But I've heard cracks made about nicely arrangements of of carrots and cherry tomatoes, about dead trees, about fountains... and that's just recently. (Maybe I'm just especially sensitive given that I've been spending some part of my meager vacation time reading Ayn Rand, inventor of the phallic sentence.) I'm not sure though that Dave is right to complain that it's because we're a society of "ridiculous prudes". Sometimes it's just so irresistible to laugh for no reason in the middle of the day and make a giant fuss. I bet those Oregon residents are having a ball, and that they'll miss their phallic cement traffic cones when they're gone...
It does seem to me though that people today tend to see phallic symbols everywhere. Tall buildings are especially common targets. But I've heard cracks made about nicely arrangements of of carrots and cherry tomatoes, about dead trees, about fountains... and that's just recently. (Maybe I'm just especially sensitive given that I've been spending some part of my meager vacation time reading Ayn Rand, inventor of the phallic sentence.) I'm not sure though that Dave is right to complain that it's because we're a society of "ridiculous prudes". Sometimes it's just so irresistible to laugh for no reason in the middle of the day and make a giant fuss. I bet those Oregon residents are having a ball, and that they'll miss their phallic cement traffic cones when they're gone...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home