Politicians and their adjectives.
My MP's office emailed Quadra Liberals today with Stephen Owen's reaction to the Throne Speech:
"In only eight short weeks, Mr. Harper has traveled the shortest path from sanctimony to breathtaking hypocrisy on accountability," Owen reflected.
Just leave out that "breathtaking" and the whole statement is so much punchier. It's not just John Kerry; political discourse really does suffer from a gross overuse of adjectives.
...On a less shallow note, the Throne Speech itself struck me as a pretty dispiriting mix of platitudes and bad ideas. That's to be expected I guess, but I found this bit particularly omnious:
Recognizing the important role of parliamentarians, members of Parliament will be asked to conduct comprehensive reviews of key federal legislation, including the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, the Anti-Terrorism Act and the Bank Act.
If I could name three Acts off the top of my head I most wanted Harper's party to stay away from, it would probably be those. Thank God it's a minority.
"In only eight short weeks, Mr. Harper has traveled the shortest path from sanctimony to breathtaking hypocrisy on accountability," Owen reflected.
Just leave out that "breathtaking" and the whole statement is so much punchier. It's not just John Kerry; political discourse really does suffer from a gross overuse of adjectives.
...On a less shallow note, the Throne Speech itself struck me as a pretty dispiriting mix of platitudes and bad ideas. That's to be expected I guess, but I found this bit particularly omnious:
Recognizing the important role of parliamentarians, members of Parliament will be asked to conduct comprehensive reviews of key federal legislation, including the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, the Anti-Terrorism Act and the Bank Act.
If I could name three Acts off the top of my head I most wanted Harper's party to stay away from, it would probably be those. Thank God it's a minority.
1 Comments:
...dispiriting mix of platitudes and bad ideas.
Hmmm... I'm checking the room for hidden mics. That's what I told Cheryl about 3/4 of the way through.
If I could name three Acts off the top of my head I most wanted Harper's party to stay away from, it would probably be those.
Indeed! And we know which direction he would take each one.
And then there's this:
this Government will seek to involve parliamentarians and citizens in examining the challenges facing Canada's electoral system and democratic institutions.
The little weasel is going to mess with the constitution... if he can get away with it.
Post a Comment
<< Home