Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I'm a PhD student in econ at UBC. For fun, I write this blog.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Three tidbits.

All good.

First, Kate O'Beirne at The Corner thinks the GOP Senate is in trouble:

Just spoke to an experienced GOP analyst who is fretting that the Democrats have a real chance of picking up 3 to 4 seats this November. He sees Ohio, PA and RI as "gone,"...GOP opportunities? MN, WA, and NE.

Ohio is "gone"? Could be that the GOP analyst just means that DeWine is a RINO, but it reads like he actually thinks Brown is going to beat Dewine. Interesting. If I could choose one pickup for November, it would be Brown taking out Dewine, so here's hoping he's right. As for Cantwell's WA seat, it's looking pretty safe.

Second, I got a chance to watch Feingold's Charlie Rose appearance, and he really is impressive: straight-shooting, articulate and the rest of it. I'm still not feeling that charitable about Feingold's refusal to consult with his caucus over censure, but watching him talk does get my all excited about how dangerous Feingold's going to be to the GOP if the Dems take the Senate and grabe control of the committees.

Third, I was really happy to see the Liberals have set the date for their nominating convention at the end of the year, and seem to be feeling a few of their oats again. People are throwing their hats in, and I'm already getting "meet and greet" spam from various hopefuls! Also, true to form, after initial disorganization and waffling around, the Libs have done (what I consider, subjectively) the right thing, backing the Tories on Afghanistan.

2 Comments:

Blogger nightshift66 said...

Hmmm. Even a gain of 4 seats leaves Repubs in command, 51-49. A 1994 size wave will be needed, but it's possible. It's also possible the Reps won't lose any. Eight months in US politics is a very long time.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

david -- Santorum is sooooo gone. I just wish it wasn't Casey replacing him, but take what you can.

nightshift -- Actually, if Chaffee, DeWine and Santorum are "gone" (2 of 3 certainly are; I'm still skeptical about Dewine), there's still Burns and Talent, both in trouble and trailing in their races. I don't see them picking up anywhere. Ben Nelson and Cantwell both look safe. (I don't know anything about the MN race to replace Dayton.) So it could possibly be a 5-seat pickup. but you're right, it's a bit early to tell.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters