Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I'm a PhD student in econ at UBC. For fun, I write this blog.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Blogger problems.

Anyone know what to do when Blogger erases your posts? I'm saving drafts but I'd like this to stop.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

About the only thing you can do is save them in draft. Any posts which you tried to publish, but didn't make it to blogspot should be on your blogger dashboard. For those that are missing, click on EDIT and then hit the publish button.

That should do it.

Losing blogger for 1/2 the day is a bit of a piss off though... especially after working all morning on a post only to have it vanish.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yeah. Last night, I posted the piece on the Liberals, which proceded to get a bunch of hits (from where I don't know; it was 11 on Friday night. Apparently I'm not the only geek out there). Then, it just disappeared from the dashboard. Then from the blog. I grabbed it from a cache and re-did the links, posted, and then the same thing happened again! Then today, both it and the post before last up and disappeared, first from the dashboard, then from the blog. But by then I had the HTML saved in Word. Now things seem to be behaving again. I think it might have had to do with an older draft of the Liberals post I wrote a few days ago and the Blogger decided to delete everything I wrote after it when I deleted it.

Very bizarre. I had wondered before why everybody bitched so much about blogger which hadn't given me problems. Live and learn.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Whoa, you had some real trouble. Most of mine have just come off the blog but I haven't lost it off the dashboard.

I can imagine Americablog and the other big blogspot advertisers are going into a slow burn over today's 4 hour outage.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're probably right. It was good for me, since it forced me to do four hours of work. But for people who depend on traffic and have blogads, the outages are probably real pains in the ass. Also, sorry you lost a post. That's always infuriating. So far, I've only had it happen once. Cross fingers.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Declan said...

Yeah, anything longer than a couple of paragraphs I write and save in notepad and then transfer over to blogger once its mostly done.

Had the same post disappear entirely (post-publishing) a couple of times yesterday, a good reminder that I need to archive the whole blog sometime soon, maybe now.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Mmm, yeah, good thinking, Declan.

When I deleted the old version of the blog, I was amazed how easy it is to get rid of the whole thing -- months of your spare time!

Archiving is pretty smart.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters