Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I'm a PhD student in econ at UBC. For fun, I write this blog.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

"Standing up for Canada".

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dave were right about this.

Which isn't to say it didn't work; I quite enjoyed listening to Harper take on Wilkins. One of my sorrows after the election, besides the end of the whole Martin Liberal paradigm, was the thought that there'd be no more flaring back-and-forths between the PM and the know-nothing ambassador the US has chosen to insult us with.

What would make me really happy, though, is if Harper would say something to repudiate this sort of thing:

A U.S. right-wing strategist says Canadians are "so liberal and hedonistic" that Stephen Harper can't hope to change their philosophy of "cultural Marxism" right away.

Given time, however, the Conservative prime minister-designate may straighten them out, Paul Weyrich writes.

Weyrich, a Washington fixture since the 1970s, runs a conservative think tank called the Free Congress Foundation.

His contribution to the Harper election effort was to distribute an e-mail last week urging fellow U.S. right-wingers not to talk to Canadian reporters.



I'm not suggesting that Harper should really dignify this with a response. Free Congress is possible the most whacked-out of the conservative ideological lobbies in Washington, and nobody who ran as disciplined or ruthless a real-world campaign as Harper's Tories just did could possibly be taking cues from them.

But some sort of hint that he's no more under control of American loonies than the American Democrats are under the control of the undefined "far left" would be a good strategic move. Harper's far-right boogiemen are hardly undefined, and by making it clear he doesn't care what Weyrich and co think, he'd probably make a lot of people feel better about him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters