Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I'm a PhD student in econ at UBC. For fun, I write this blog.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas is right!

I was all ready to finish up and post a doom-and-gloom entry I wrote last week about the Canadian election and the turning Tory tide, agreeing with this column by Lawrence Martin and complementing/lamenting Harper's brilliant rhetorical ploy on federalism, and wringing my hands over how the Liberals use scare-tactics because the real arguments against Conservativism, which have little to do with whether Harper is a nice guy or not, are too hard to make on the campaign trail.

Then, in my virtual stocking, I get this:


Tory Campaign Failing to Gain Traction with Voters

Stephen Harper's policy-heavy election campaign is no better at capturing voters' imaginations than the Liberal effort, according to a new poll that also finds less gloom about the direction of the country than when the election was called.

...On the question of momentum, voters think the Liberals have the most heading into the second half of the campaign. The two major parties were tied in momentum at the beginning of the campaign.

The poll comes as the Liberal lead widened nationally, although the shift is still within the margin of error.

The survey found that 36 per cent of voters prefer the Liberals, up from 33 per cent Thursday, compared to 29 per cent for the Conservatives, who are down one point. The NDP is at 17 per cent -- down one -- while the Bloc Québécois has also dropped a point to 13 per cent. The poll sampled 1,500 voters and is accurate to within 2.5 percentage points.



The Libs are up to 34% in the Globe tracking poll too. Peace on Earth; Goodwill to Man. May it continue. Liberals don't do it perfect; but we do it better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters