Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I'm a PhD student in econ at UBC. For fun, I write this blog.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ad wars.

I just saw one of the new Conservative Party ads -- Harper talking about his proposed GST cut -- on Bravo during Law & Order. Good God, it was bad. At the Conservative Party's (quite decent) website, there are three more just like it. The Liberals have a set of ads up too.

Anyway, here are my ratings of the three major parties' ads so far:

Liberals:

30 Million Reasons to Vote Liberal Version 1: A-
30 Million Reasons to Vote Liberal Version 2: B
Nothing Minor About Martin's Accomplishments: B+

In the second Million Reasons ad, the people seem to be handwaving and fishing a bit for reasons to vote Liberal -- it's a little bit questionable whether the Liberals are the only party that are going to protect ethnic minority rights, or whether that's really a sellable argument (and I did grimace a little over the "give me a voice" testimonial after the whole Ignatieff-crashing-his-riding thing. Maybe let a few more days go by?) Otherwise, the ads are surprisingly upbeat and professional-looking and the people featured look like real grassroots Liberals. I felt quite Canadian after seeing them.


Conservatives:

Accountability: D+
Taxes: C-
Crime D+
Day Care: C

These ads are a variation on the "Pol takes questions from real down-home folks" model. The setting is Harper on some fake talk show where the host goes live to questioners around Canada, all of whom are roundly pissed off with those corrupt, out-of-touch folks in Ottawa. The whole thing is scripted to within and inch of its life and Harper's answers are too brief and pre-rehearsed to be even remotely convincing (got to stay within 30 seconds). The overall effect is "low budget". And, man, not to be a petty partisan or anything, but Harper has scary eyes. They're sort of undead-looking.

The tax one and child care one get slightly higher marks because on these two issues, there is a real difference between the Libs and Cons -- income tax cut vs. GST cut; more institutionalized daycare vs. a transfer program for parents. On child care, especially, Harper can appeal to certain, reasonable "consumer choice" sentiments to which a conservative party ought to appeal.

Also, I think they might be better off just excerpting Harper's speeches into ads instead of having him act. If I were conservative-leaning, I might be convinced by this substantive rant on taxes (I love the vaguely Clintonian rhetoric -- I wonder if it's intentional?)

The NDP don't have any TV ads yet (but coming soon!), but their printable downloads are really very nice. In the spirit of a Liberal who's glad we've got an NDP, I give them an A-.


Update: The Globe and Mail says the new Conservative ads are aimed at women. Oh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters