And we're off...
The long-promised non-confidence motion has gone through and we're havin' an election!!!
This weekend I watched Prime Minister Martin and the BC Caucus take questions from (mainly young) delegates at our provincial policy convention in Richmond. It was my first convention, having spent a huge chunk of my life to date being shamefully detached from politics in my country of first citizenship, and I had to miss most of it. But I paid up and went to a few sessions because I wanted to get a better feel for what Liberalism is like and make certain that I really want to be a member of the party rather than an independent. (There's nothing wrong with being an independent. I mainly think it's cool how independent-minded Canadian voters are in the aggregate.) But after listening to talks on fundraising, canvassing and Tory-bashing, I came out feeling pretty ok about the whole Liberal partisan thing.
So not to take the whole partisan thing too far or anything, but I just made my blogroll a tad more partisan Liberal and, well, this is pretty much sums up how I'm going to be feeling for the next 56 days. I really do think we'd be better off if (as is quite unlikely) the Liberals can pull down a majority (I do have reasons, and I do think Martin has the potential to be a good leader if he and his party weren't forced to keep pandering on a knife-edge like they have for the past months). Though given the grudging respect you've got to give Jack Layton over the past year, I'd also settle for a strong Liberal-NDP government. Just so long as the government isn't hanging on the votes of the House independents again.
At any rate, here's to the hope of an election making things better, not worse.
This weekend I watched Prime Minister Martin and the BC Caucus take questions from (mainly young) delegates at our provincial policy convention in Richmond. It was my first convention, having spent a huge chunk of my life to date being shamefully detached from politics in my country of first citizenship, and I had to miss most of it. But I paid up and went to a few sessions because I wanted to get a better feel for what Liberalism is like and make certain that I really want to be a member of the party rather than an independent. (There's nothing wrong with being an independent. I mainly think it's cool how independent-minded Canadian voters are in the aggregate.) But after listening to talks on fundraising, canvassing and Tory-bashing, I came out feeling pretty ok about the whole Liberal partisan thing.
So not to take the whole partisan thing too far or anything, but I just made my blogroll a tad more partisan Liberal and, well, this is pretty much sums up how I'm going to be feeling for the next 56 days. I really do think we'd be better off if (as is quite unlikely) the Liberals can pull down a majority (I do have reasons, and I do think Martin has the potential to be a good leader if he and his party weren't forced to keep pandering on a knife-edge like they have for the past months). Though given the grudging respect you've got to give Jack Layton over the past year, I'd also settle for a strong Liberal-NDP government. Just so long as the government isn't hanging on the votes of the House independents again.
At any rate, here's to the hope of an election making things better, not worse.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home