Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I'm a PhD student in econ at UBC. For fun, I write this blog.

Monday, September 05, 2005

30,000 body bags.

Every article I read about Katrina is like getting hit over the head with a slightly bigger fish. Today, from the Globe and Mail:

In nearby Baton Rouge, a police officer said he was told that 30,000 body bags have been ordered.

...And that rage and despair boils down to two questions: In the richest country in the world, how is it possible that a long-predicted disaster could bring a world-famous city like New Orleans to its knees? Second, why was the response so torturously slow?


The answer? The joke that was once FEMA. Kathleen Blanco, playing politics. The White House, playing politics. (Oh, jeez, how could I leave Haley Barbour out here?) And poverty.

...New Orleans's mostly black population comprises one of the poorest communities in the country, and when told to leave the city as Katrina approached, many failed to do so because they had no cars and no way of getting out.


What else is there to say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters