Liberalism without wireless.
Here's a few things I learned while taking the train across Canada:
1) The prairies are not nearly as monotonously flat as I had expected.
2) The new Harry Potter book is better than the fifth but not as good as the fourth.
3) Not only was I right that the Sugababes' Angels with Dirty Faces is the most aggressively bad pop album in history, but it's in fact much, much worse when listened to with headphones. Only with headphones do you get the full "Freak Like Me" experience those anonymous middle aged British producers meant you to have. Raw. Vulgar. Soulless. If I die young, this is the album I want playing in the background.
4) I can manage without a shower and even without a toothbrush. But going without internet access is feakin' hard.
5) The only news story I caught while surfing in a coffee shop in Jasper was the horrible followup in the Guardian about the probe of the shooting of the Brazillian in the South London tube that I wrote about last month. From the leaked reports, it turns out that the victim didn't jump the turnstile, wasn't wearing a padded jacket, didn't run from the cops, and didn't apparently even know he was being tailed by plainclothes.
Wow. So why did so many witnesses corroborate the initial bogus account of what happened on the tube that appeared in the press (not that the initial account wasn't bad enough)? And what, besides eggregious racial profiling, can possibly account for so much blundering on the cops' part? And why, after all that is Scotland Yard still making simultaneously omnious and weiredly blase statements like this:
The policy which claimed Mr de Menezes's life is known as Operation Kratos. Senior officers who support the policy have privately said there is anxiety about whether using the tactic again would result in another innocent being killed.
"There were big agonies before and Stockwell has just emphasised that," the source said. Asked whether there was confidence in Kratos, he replied: "It's very hard to view something like Kratos and use words like confidence."
Mr. Menezes' family is right to angry. And from the sounds of it, they're also right to demand Ian Blair's resignation, if not for the shooting itself than for the appalling an incredibly shifty and insensitive way the aftermath has been handled. What an appalling story.
1) The prairies are not nearly as monotonously flat as I had expected.
2) The new Harry Potter book is better than the fifth but not as good as the fourth.
3) Not only was I right that the Sugababes' Angels with Dirty Faces is the most aggressively bad pop album in history, but it's in fact much, much worse when listened to with headphones. Only with headphones do you get the full "Freak Like Me" experience those anonymous middle aged British producers meant you to have. Raw. Vulgar. Soulless. If I die young, this is the album I want playing in the background.
4) I can manage without a shower and even without a toothbrush. But going without internet access is feakin' hard.
5) The only news story I caught while surfing in a coffee shop in Jasper was the horrible followup in the Guardian about the probe of the shooting of the Brazillian in the South London tube that I wrote about last month. From the leaked reports, it turns out that the victim didn't jump the turnstile, wasn't wearing a padded jacket, didn't run from the cops, and didn't apparently even know he was being tailed by plainclothes.
Wow. So why did so many witnesses corroborate the initial bogus account of what happened on the tube that appeared in the press (not that the initial account wasn't bad enough)? And what, besides eggregious racial profiling, can possibly account for so much blundering on the cops' part? And why, after all that is Scotland Yard still making simultaneously omnious and weiredly blase statements like this:
The policy which claimed Mr de Menezes's life is known as Operation Kratos. Senior officers who support the policy have privately said there is anxiety about whether using the tactic again would result in another innocent being killed.
"There were big agonies before and Stockwell has just emphasised that," the source said. Asked whether there was confidence in Kratos, he replied: "It's very hard to view something like Kratos and use words like confidence."
Mr. Menezes' family is right to angry. And from the sounds of it, they're also right to demand Ian Blair's resignation, if not for the shooting itself than for the appalling an incredibly shifty and insensitive way the aftermath has been handled. What an appalling story.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home